Reading time: 2 – 3 minutes
Health Highlights is a biweekly summary of particularly interesting articles from credible sources of health and medical information that we follow & read. For a complete list of recommeded sources, see our links page.
- How distractible are you? The answer may lie in your working memory capacity | Cognitive Daily
Dave Munger pays attention to a recent study on memory capacity and mental focus.
- Genetics of Cancer Resistance | Dr Shock MD PhD
Dr Shock reviews fundamental concepts in genetics and highlights a study providing alternative explanations for cancer resistance.
- Why Does My Child Need a Flu Shot? | Doctor David’s Blog
Dr. David Loeb covers recent flu-related news and discusses a study on drugs designed to treat influenza. His advice: prevent the flu with a flu shot.
- FDA OKs First Human Trials of Embryonic Stem Cells – Geron Biotech | The Medical Quack
Barbara Duck reports that the Federal Drug Administration has approved the first human trials of embryonic stem cells to treat a small group of spinal cord injury patients.
- How to make EBM easy to swallow: BMJ PICO | Laikas MedLibLog
Cliff Notes for evidence-based medicine? Shamsha Damani reports that the British Medical Journal (BMJ) will be publishing summaries for published research articles.
- Reality Deniers | Science-Based Medicine
Homeopaths deny chemistry, acupuncturists and chiropractors deny anatomy, energy therapies deny our understanding of physics and energy – they all deny the validity of the scientific method.