Reading time: 2 – 3 minutes
Health Highlights is an occasionally recurring series focused on particularly interesting articles from credible sources of health and medical information that we follow & read. For a complete list of recommeded sources, see our links page.
- "Get Fit" Twitter Campaign by GE Healthcare | ScienceRoll
Berci Mesko reports that GE Healthcare has launched a Twitter-based campaign that focuses on health tips for cancer. People can share their own health tips via Twitter using the #get_fit hashtag.
- AAFP Embraces Social Media | Family Medicine Rocks – Mike Sevilla, MD
A big step for the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP). Mike Sevilla notes that the medical specialty society, which represents more than 100,000 family physicians and medical students, is seeking a Social Media Manager.
- On Huffington Post: Top 10 Medical Research Trends to Watch in 2011 | FasterCures
Margaret Anderson, Executive Director of FasterCures, recently reviewed the top 10 medical research trends to watch for in 2011.
- Why Men Should Care About Their Health | HealthTap
Many of men's biggest health risks can be reduced simply by better understanding family health history and making healthier lifestyle choices. Jordanna Joaquina reviews the disease risks from a genetic perspective.
- Energy Drinks | Science-Based Pharmacy
Are energy drinks candied caffeine delivery systems or are they skirting drug regulations? Scott Gavura reviews the ingredients, the risks and the regulation.
- Social media in healthcare: Who is going beyond the basics? | MedCityNews
With hospitals increasingly turning to social media to connect with patients and get their messages out, here, are a few examples of innovative uses of social media in healthcare.